This meme jumps from blog to blog, depending on where I’m participating for Holidailies. So, forgive the non-musical content, but I’m running out of steam here. Writing this many entries is like asking an introvert to stay at an all-night party in Room 7609.
- What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
By virtue of now living in a place that isn’t Austin, Texas, just about everything really. I rode a ferry. I commute to work by bus. I bought more winter clothes. I understand hoodies. I moved to a gay neighborhood. Really, everything.
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Moving from Austin to Seattle pretty much precluded any intention for a New Year’s Resolution. As for 2013, I’m going to begin work on becoming a performing musician instead of just a composing musician. I may also try to date. Seriously.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
- Did anyone close to you die?
- What countries did you visit?
- What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
- What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Jan. 6-Jan. 9 — when I drove from Austin to Seattle.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Settling into a new life in a new city.
- What was your biggest failure?
Getting a warning at work about my use of strong language.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
Caught the flu in April. I went for a flu shot this season.
- What was the best thing you bought?
Marshall MC15CFX guitar amp.
- Whose behavior merited celebration?
The voters of Washington, Maine, Maryland and Minnesota
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The Republican Party. (Wow. Same answer as last year.)
- Where did most of your money go?
The cost of living in Seattle. And retirement.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Hanging out with a friend from Austin who moved to Seattle a long time ago.
- What song will always remind you of 2012?
That’s a difficult question, but I may have to go with Café Tacvba’s “De Este Lado Del Camino”.
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. happier or sadder
b. thinner or fatter
c. richer or poorer?
a. Happier b. Unchanged c. Poorer
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
- How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
At home, playing with my new guitar!
- Did you fall in love in 2012?
No, I’m hoping to save that for 2013.
- How many one-night stands?
- What was your favorite TV program?
The landing of the Mars Curiosity Rover on NASA-TV.
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I wouldn’t say hate, but there’s a definite sense of ambivalence.
- What was the best book you read?
Susan Cain, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
Oriental Love Ring, In This World. I’m glad a random web search informed me the band had gotten back together after 20 years.
- What did you want and get?
A life without cedar allergies and triple-digit heat.
- What did you want and not get?
- What was your favorite film of this year?
Now that I no longer live within close proximity of an Alamo Drafthouse, I haven’t really watched any movies this year.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40, and I went to see Alarm Will Sound at Town Hall.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Expanded winter wardrobe. Also: shirt jacket. And fleece. Lots and lots of fleece.
- What kept you sane?
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- What political issue stirred you the most?
Approval of Referendum 74.
- Who did you miss?
- Who was the best new person you met?
The co-workers in my team.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
You can never save enough for a cross-country move.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Too many things happened this year that it can’t really be summed up in a single lyric. Sorry.