The last time I bought a SXSW wristband was 2008, when I could really afford it which isn’t to say I can afford one this year either.
But when news broke that Duran Duran would be performing at the festival, I decided to cough up the cash. I know already my chances of getting into that show with a lowly wristband are slim, and if the band stops by Texas in support of All You Need Is Now, I might travel some distance to see them. (They are actually performing in Houston on April 6, but I’ll be out of town in San Francisco for a work conference.)
Duran Duran came to Austin in support of Red Carpet Massacre a few years back, but I didn’t go. Partly because I thought the album sucked, but mostly because they played at the Austin Music Hall, which sucks even more.
I have to admit — this year was the first I bought a wristband for a reason other than Japan Nite.
And this year’s Japan Nite line-up? Eh …
I’ve known the name MO’SOME TONEBENDER for years, but I haven’t explored any of their works. oh sunshine includes former Tokyo Jihen guitarist Hirama Mikio, but I’m not expecting much Tokyo Jihen-like material from him. All the other acts are pretty much standard Sister/Benten fare.
It would still be nice to head over to Elysium this year. I’ve missed that tradition these past two years.
Sam Amidon, … And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead and Emmylou Harris are also heading to the festival, and I’m probably more excited to see them than anything on Japan Nite.
There are still a lot of Japanese bands coming to SXSW that aren’t playing at Japan Nite.
- Puffyshoes, Tuesday, March 15 at 10 p.m., BD Riley’s
- Ydestroyde, Wednesday, March 16 at 7:55 p.m., Headhunters
- Moja, Wednesday, March 16 at 8:50 p.m., Headhunters
- DJ Teraoka and the Revolution, March 16 at 9 p.m., The Hideout
- Takashi Kamide, Thursday, March 17 at 10 p.m., St. David’s Bethel Hall
- Zoobombs, Thursday, March 17 at 1 a.m., Habana Bar
- The Topping Bottoms, Friday March 18 at 8:40 p.m., The Hideout
- The Suzan, Friday, March 18 at 9:30 p.m., Beauty Bar/Palm Door
- Sonodaband, Friday, March 18 at 1 a.m., Elephant Room
- Cubismo Grafica Five, Friday, March 18 at 1 a.m., Parish Underground
- Suck Piggy, Saturday, March 19 at 7:50 p.m., Headhunters
- Vampilla, Saturday, March 19 at 11:10 p.m., The Hideout
- mi-gu, Saturday, March 19 at 1 a.m., Elysium
- Milla and the Geeks, Saturday< March 19 at 8 p.m., Malaia
- Takashi Kamide, Saturday, March 19 at 7 p.m., Mellow Johnny’s